My showreel is completed! Finally.
today I finished my final cut, complete with the original soundtrack and the footage placed carefully to suit it. all of the footage has been appropriately colour corrected and framed and has been uploaded to youtube. it also features a required copyright notice which features contact details and credits for those involved in the making of the reel.
Today I have been working on fixing my documentary as much as possible as it is the weakest of my two edits.
although some of the footage I have gathered seems to be for the most part good, like I have previously stated, my lack of a good lighting system has ultimately made some parts appear grainy and underexposed, I am attempting to bump up the exposure and fix the colour balance in hopes that it removes some of the graininess.
I have also made an attempt at recording my voice over, and appear to be getting somewhere as I already have a rough recording, however, there is some stuttering and background noise hear therefore I will be making a few recordings in order to have a choice.
Over the past few weeks I have approached my work with a very lazy attitude, and due to this have fallen behind majorly in almost all of my modules, including my graded unit and documentary. I have also taken extended time off, which isn’t ideal in my current situation.
Overall I have the bare minimum of a documentary, which I would not even consider to be a rough cut at this rate, and I have yet to continue my final cut of my showreel, and with my final presentation fast approaching, I should definitely be getting to work ASAP, therefore I have set myself a task, to have both my documentary and showreel completed by the 5-th and at the latest the 6th.
This attitude of mine won’t be continuing as it is far too late in the course now to be leaving any work until the last minute.
So today we had the rough-cut presentations and it’s safe to say that mines weren’t so bad, the lecturer obviously commented on my lack of footage and the length of the footage which was featured, which he claimed was a bit too long in duration and that I should attempt to shorten them if it is possible, I have taken this advice and already began to shorten them and add in more shots to break it up a little. One of the major points he brought up was my soundtrack, which he said was good, however, if I am to use this later in the final cut, I should consider placing the footage to suit the track rather than just have the footage scattered like I had in the rough-cut, but if not, then I should consider having another track as a backup, which I have already sorted as of this post.
Overall the presentation went well, and I have walked away from it with a clear view of how I want my final cut to look.
Doing some last minute touches to my rough cut for my showreel for presentation on the 19th, so far I have enough footage to get by at 45 seconds which is all properly colour corrected and placed effectively, however, it does not feature a required copyright notice, but I will add that once I begin my final cut.
I also began writing up a voice over for my ARFC documentary, and have a rough idea of what I want to talk about, but so far I have a brief history of the rovers, mentions of who I am interviewing and a little about their work within their community, however, there has to be much more added in the coming days.
Relating to my last post, I didn’t manage to find the time to shoot some extra footage, so instead have decided that after the rough-cut presentations is will be adding a little more of my creative break work to it, however, I am not sure how this will fly with the lecturers who will be examining the final cut at another presentation set for the 9th of June.
The footage I have is well shot, colour balanced and focused, which is the essentially the criteria which I need to meet for the final presentation so I think I am on the right track.
I took a break from my documentary for today and started preparing my rough cut of my showreel for presentation on the 19th of May. Already I have made it to 45 seconds and have much more to add to the reel, I think that I could be doing with a little bit of extra footage, however, and will likely be heading out in the coming days to shoot, but for now I think it is a good start, I even have my track featured which in my opinion is good!
Spent a lot of time piecing together my documentary today, and from what I am seeing so far I am not impressed with.
A lot of the footage is grainy and not well lit, something which I was hoping to avoid, and this was probably caused by my not having booked out any lighting what so ever, and focused on natural lighting. I believe this was very amateur of me due to my three years of experience using all of the lighting equipment and I should have though better, however, my plan is to persevere and make an attempt at writing this wrong in the editing suite.
Today I have begun to gather all of the footage for my ARFC documentary together, and what I have seen after my day of filming I am far from impressed with. Although the footage itself seems to be good in regards to framing, focus and color balance, it was recorded using only camera audio, which I am not too pleased with myself about, as this, on my part, is an amateur move. However, nonetheless, I will power through and will be looking at ways to combat this unfortunate mistake and make the best possible documentary I can.